There may be a computer in the broker’s office, but you don’t have to use it. In fact, you’re better off having and using your own laptop. Here are some reasons why:
- You can save your work. If you’re sharing a computer with everyone else in the office, the documents you save today can be erased by someone else tomorrow. To protect your work, keep it on your own computer.
- You can customize your settings. You can install the software you want and you can configure the settings to match how you like to work. That saves you time and effort.
- It goes where you go. You can start something at the office and finish it when you get home. You can work while you’re waiting for a client or when you’re hosting a slow open house. You can even work while you’re out of town. And you’re not dragging around a bunch of papers.
- It can help you (and your listings) look good. With the right software, you can give impressive presentations to clients or run attention-getting slide shows at your open house.
- It makes meetings interactive. Your can sit down with buyers, for example, and review properties online. That keeps you from printing out lots of listing sheets or taking buyers to properties they don’t really need to see.
- It can help you market yourself. Open your laptop and review listings when you stop for a snack at web-enabled establishments like Starbucks or Panera. You’re guaranteed to meet people who are interested in real estate. Make sure you have plenty of business cards.
- It signals to clients that you’re ready for work in the 21st Century. Nothing screams “old school” like having to say: “I’m sorry, I couldn’t look that up because the computer in the office was down.”