Because Internet criminals are getting smarter all the time, computer users need to find a way to stay one step ahead. You should never user the Internet without some kind of anti-virus or Internet security software installed.
A good anti-virus package protects you in several ways:
- The anti-virus part of the package scans your computer files on a regular basis looking for malicious programs that may have come to you from other computers.
- The package should also include anti-spyware protection to guard against programs that lurk on your computer and keep track of what you’re doing.
- A firewall is essential to prevent unfriendly content from reaching your computer through your Internet connection, so most basic anti-virus packages include that too.
- And because new viruses and threats are being unleashed all the time, your software has to stay up to date in order to find them. Therefore, a basic anti-virus package usually goes out to the Internet on a regular basis to pull in updated virus information.
You can also choose to install a more sophisticated Internet security suite. An Internet security suite goes beyond the basics and may include a way to:
- Verify the safety or authenticity of the websites you visit;
- Remember your passwords and protect your personal data;
- Protect you from spam;
- Back up your data.