Internet Explorer 6 is incompatible with much of the new technology on the Internet.
Facebook, for example, requires its users to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 before creating an account and YouTube has announced that it will stop supporting IE6 (meaning that soon people using IE6 may not be able to access YouTube videos.) In addition, if you’re still using IE6, you’re at greater risk from Internet threats like viruses and malware. That’s because newer browsers do a better job of protecting you from today’s sophisticated computer attacks.
Here’s how to tell if you’re using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on “Help” and then scroll down to “About”.
- The window that opens will show you which version of Internet Explorer you’re using. If you’ve got Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher, you’re in great shape. But if your window looks like the one in the picture, it’s time to make a change.
The simplest change you can make is to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8. But you don’t have to stay with Internet Explorer. There are at least four other popular web browsers that people are using:
- Firefox 3.5 gets consistently high marks from developers and computer professionals. It runs on Windows or Mac and it’s best known for its customizable themes and features.
- Google Chrome 2.0 has fewer extras than other browsers but gets points for its speed.
- Safari 4 is the browser that pre-loaded onto Mac computers, but it can also be used on Windows machines. It’s got great speed and visually impressive features like Cover Flow.
- Opera 10 works well with underpowered computers, making it the perfect choice if your machine is more than 3-4 years old.
- That brings us back to Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer 8 has improved security and is less likely than its predecessors to crash. However, it only runs on Windows computers.
All of these browsers are free. If you’re most comfortable staying with what you know, Internet Explorer 8 will work fine. But do be sure to take care of this soon so you can continue to make use of the best the Internet has to offer.